AtoMag™ Magnetic Molecular Models
Magnetize your Molymod molecular models with neodymium rare earth magnets..
All you need are our 5x5mm neodymium rod magnets and Molymod atoms.
Do cyclohexane chair-boat flips, quick & easy illustrations of chirality, branched chain alkanes & glucose isomers & more.
This page lists some of the ways we have used magnets with Molymod model parts to create magnetized molecualar models for:
- Best representation of cyclohexane chair-boat flip
- Build any branched chain alkane instantly
- Simple & elegant way to teach basic IUPAC nomenclature
- Show chirality with fast switching between enantiomers
- Convert glucose to any of its related conformers quickly
- Demonstrate concept of cis & trans isomerism in a flash
- Show surface chemistry reactions such as sputtering
- Change tacticity in polymer conformers in seconds
How to Build Your Own AtoMag™
- Stack all the 5x5mm neodymium rod magnets so poles face the same way.
- Separate & mark one end with black marker to denote "N"
(N & S is arbitrary for this application; just be consistent).
- Turn half upside down so unmarked "S" is facing upwards.
- Line up all N magnets in one row, all "S" magnets in another
- Press 2 of into the holes of the 4 hole carbon atom
- If done correctly, 2 each "N" & 2 unmarked "S" should be showing.
- Have fun.