AtoMag™ Magnetic Molecular Models
Magnetize your Molymod molecular models with neodymium rare earth magnets.. Do cyclohexane chair-boat flips, quick & easy illustrations of chirality, branched chain alkanes & glucose isomers & more.
All you need are our 5x5mm neodymium rod magnets and Molymod atoms.
This page lists some of the ways we have used magnets with Molymod model parts to create magnetized molecualar models for:
- Best representation of cyclohexane chair-boat flip
- Build any branched chain alkane instantly
- Simple & elegant way to teach basic IUPAC nomenclature
- Show chirality with fast switching between enantiomers
- Convert glucose to any of its related conformers quickly
- Demonstrate concept of cis & trans isomerism in a flash
- Show surface chemistry reactions such as sputtering
- Change tacticity in polymer conformers in seconds
How to Build Your Own AtoMag™
- Make sure magnet poles face the same way. Mark one end to denote "N"
- Split stack of magnets in half so that one has "N" facing upwards & the other downwards
- Separate the magnets & mark all "N" ones with a black dot.
- Finished 4 hole carbon should have 2 showing "N" & 2 unmarked for "S"